Tuesday 5 February 2013

Why I Love the BBC




From a lonely drive made more interesting by the dulcet tones of Jeremy Vine to a desire to find out the headlines in English while abroad, the BBC seem to have all areas covered. After a recent conversation with a friend, I discovered that I am rather a fan of the BBC and the extent to which it surfaces in my daily life. Beyond praising (rather patriotically- there were mentions of how America just cannot do the same) this wonderful corporation, we managed to completely justify to ourselves the £145 annual TV licence. I thought I’d share a few of those reasons with you…

The Choice of Radio. They do it all. Want to hear some calm Sunday morning chit chat? Fancy a gentle introduction into the history of the blues? Read a bestseller book recently? Radio 2. Fancy putting on your pretentious hat and forming strong opinions on Cameron’s Europe speech? Want to hear what records Nick Clegg will take to his desert island with him? Need your Archers fix? Radio 4. Too young/cool for the above? Radio 1.

News. I don’t want anyone to burst my bubble. The BBC news website provides us with unbiased, up-to-date, well written journalism. Forget the typos of the Daily Mail Online and the ridiculous stories dug up by The Sun, the BBC gets to the point and you feel like an educated person wrote the words that you are reading. 

Sport? Not something, if I’m honest, that I pay attention to on a daily basis, but people tell me that they’re the website to seek. 

David Attenborough. Now this one is important. We came to the conclusion that without the BBC, there would be no David Attenborough. From Life on Earth in the 70s, the more recent Frozen Planet to the current Africa, many Britons would argue that the nature and wildlife genre on TV will cease to exist when Attenborough retires. Which, considering he is still going at 84, he never will.  
Remember this?!

No comments:

Post a Comment