Friday 5 October 2012

What Does Your Supercar Say About You?



So you might ask why a 20 year old girl with a fairly limited knowledge of Supercars would want to write about them? It may be true that my knowledge stems from watching the occasional Shmee150 video (more to support my brother, than to appreciate the content) and seeing a pic of the celeb-of-the-moment’s hot new wheels on Daily Mail Showbiz and Gossip online, but I have a rare insight that is hard to come across. I am a woman, and I am interested in cars. Yes, I can tell you more than just the colour of my car, I even know its engine size! 
  
In anticipation of huge generalisation; have you ever noticed how girls can be very judgemental? We gossip, we criticise and we compare. A lot of us do the same with cars, we put a focus on the aesthetic and the beauty of a car, more than the mechanics. Am I allowed to go as far as to say that these so-called ‘boys toys’ are built for boys to use and girls to look at? I know I’m being controversial, but statistics show that women prefer safe and reliable cars for themselves, while men enjoy the more luxurious supercar. This would lead us to believe that us girls don’t have the same desire to drive one, but maybe we do care about what our man looks like in one. Take the McLaren X-1 as an example, this is a fantastic car- but if you love you girlfriend, please don’t buy it. It is ugly.

The Not-So-Beautiful X-1
In my eyes, the ultimate supercar to fit with the needs of both parties is the Audi R8. This car is a masterpiece of engineering, both mechanical and aesthetic. What’s more, it is slightly more affordable than some of the more extreme wheels you see around, meaning your boyfriend can still buy you that Marc Jacobs handbag you've always wanted. 

This and a handbag?! Yes please.

2 comments:

  1. Since being with shmee150 I would say that my interest and knowledge has gone up on cars. I do agree that women love to look good in a car, however the more I am taught about the cars the more I appreciate it's performance. I also the agree the r8 v10 Spyder rules. I would love to see myself in a SLS though one day. Also just to be completely Chelsea I want an Evogue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Might want to learn how to spell Evoque first.

    ReplyDelete